mardi, avril 06, 2010

Reçu le 6 avril

Roy Arenella - Wood ''as'' Word

5 commentaires:

RF Côté (reg) a dit...

Roy,
I need some clarifications; bottom rignt hand side of card (verso) reads: 09/20,13A - PCC - 12/3/09

And, still at the verso, inside your rubber stamp, reads: 28 March 2010 - 58 P/C

Can you explain that elaborate numbering system? Will get more US stamps tomorrow night. Will keep you posted.

Cheers!

Reg

RF Côté (reg) a dit...

Got TONS of stamps. Will prepare package tomorrow and ship ASAP.

Martine a dit...

Reg, I've answered your "clarification" questions abt the postcard. But it's at Word Perfect. I will check it tomorrow, make corrections, & switch it to this comment section of your blog & sent it. It's probably a longer answer than you need or want. But i wanted to get it right.

Have you thought of something to trade for the stamps? Or will you accept $$. It would have to be in American dollars.

RF Côté (reg) a dit...

Hi Martine,

OK for the document. About the stamps, I will mail them today. It's a gift. The price was so low it's almost an embarassment! Wish you a nice day.

Martine a dit...

Reg, the letters & numbers on the bottom, right-hand side verso of postcards are a coded method of identifying & recording 3 essential pieces of information about the card.
The first set concerns the TAKING of the photograph used on the card; the 2nd concerns the postcard as MAIL & the 3rd part concerns the PRINTING of the photo on the card.
Each coded part is keyed to recorded information kept in 3 separate Logbooks.
The system is thorough, but really not complicated. It is also part of a larger system which includes my regular-sized photographs.
This Identification Code is in 3 sections, with the "--PCC--" as the middle section, set off by dashes (--) on both sides.
The first section identifies 3 specific areas of information: First, the year the photo was TAKEN ("09/"). Next, its ROLL NUMBER for that year ("20"); & lastly, the NUMBER of the NEGATIVE on that roll ("13A").
To identify one of my photos (in color or black & white) as being formatted as a postcard to be mailed out I use the designation "PC" in the 2nd (middle) section of the ID Code. The 3rd letter in that same section (which is another "C" in the card you are asking about) is the coded "number" of that card ("A"=1; "B"=2; "C"=3. Therefore "PCC" means that the photo you are looking at is on a postcard (& is NOT one of my regular, enlarged PRINTS) & that postcard is the 3rd one printed from the negative specified at the beginning of the ID Code. (That same photo enlarged as a regular-size PRINT has a different designation.)
The last section concerns the darkroom & tells me WHEN the photo was PRINTED ("12/3/09"). When I know the date of printing I can go to my Printing Log to see how the print was made: What kind of photo paper was used, what developer, what f-stop & exposure time; what dodging or burning-in was needed etc. (All this of course helps if/when I reprint the photo.)
Along with the PRINT LOG I also keep a NEGATIVE LOG. If I go to that log & look up your postcard, 09/20, 13A, I can tell you that the picture was taken on "11 Nov, 2009", on the "NY State Thruway", going "North", (The Negative Log was previously more exact than it is now. I no longer enter into the Log EVERY shot I take. (But every shot is available visually on the contact sheet made for each roll). Nor do I note each EXACT place EVERY picture was taken. For example, when we visited you last year I took about 3 rolls of film; about 110 shots. Yet the Log book has only 13 entries identifying subject, place & time of those 110 exposures. But from interpolating those 13 entries, I can (most times) identify where I took a picture (GENERAL location) as well at the week/month it was taken.(I can also use pocket notebooks, journals, daily calendars, to help pinpoint time & place of shots for which there is no information entered in the log.

The date & other numbers & letters inside the rubber stamped "bull's eye" concern the card as a piece of MAIL rather than as a photograph & its negative.
"28 March 2010": tells the date the card was MADE. "58" means that the card was the 58th mailing of the year indicated in the date (2010). Here the "P/C" means that the mailing is a POSTCARD. Some designations I use for other kinds of mail are: "L" = letter; "L+Enc = letter plus enclosure; "USPS" = U.S.Postal Card; "CoC" = commercially made card; "CxP/C"= xerox of color photo, made into a card.
I should say that this classification/identification system --as I use it--is only “loosely” accurate --because I am often in a hurry & careless with this kind of record keeping (more so as I get older). On the other hand, the ID Code makes available even MORE information than I've given you here.
Best, r()y